Love him or hate him, Floyd “Money” Mayweather, Jr. is the champ. With a perfect record of 43-0, he’s the highest paid athlete in the world having earned over $200 million in the ring. In Saturday’s pay-per-view bout, he made a cool $32 million; putting his total purse from the last three fights over $100 million. Floyd is considered one of the greatest fighters of all time.
Mayweather is also brash, cocky, and trash talking. While he has less humility than the Kardashians, he is undeniably remarkable. His fights draw over one million paid viewings, and his performance is consistently near perfect. When you look past the megalomania, there is inspirational grit and determination and many lessons we can apply to our own lives:
1. Singularity of Purpose – Floyd hasn’t cut a rap album, pursued politics, or launched a dot-com startup. He puts every waking moment into being the best boxer in history. He plays to his strengths and chases his purpose with laser beam focus. Instead of spreading himself thin, he places every egg in one basket. The result? Greatness.
2. Unwavering Belief – Like most of us, Floyd’s had his share of detractors. Along the road to winning eight world titles in five weight classes, many people (including his own father) told him he’d never make it. But Floyd believed in himself even when in the face of adversity. Irrespective of your chosen field, you must never let the nay-sayers hold you back from reaching your full potential.
3. Discipline and Commitment – Floyd’s a big talker, but he backs it up with substance. His training regimen is grueling, yet he shows up fully to each session. He has a chant with his team that reinforces his philosophy: Floyd shouts out “commitment” and his team chants back “determination.” This mantra has helped Mayweather reach the highest levels, and the same grit can propel you there as well. His work ethic and drive have earned him the right to be a champion, has yours?
4. Preparation – As the legendary boxing quote proclaims, “Champions don’t become champions in the ring. They are merely recognized there.” The same holds true for your pursuits. Floyd prepares physically, but he also is a master strategist. He thinks through every permutation of each fight before entering the arena. How are you preparing for your own challenges? Winging it can yield unfavorable results, but carefully planning your attack will help you snag the order, crush the competition, or secure that next round of funding.
5. Masterful Storytelling – Floyd’s incredible boxing skills are only part of his draw. He is a master promoter, and his story simply cannot be ignored. He’s authentic, unique, and compelling. Some adore him and others despise him, but we can all agree he is a “category of one.” When you tell your own story – for your company or career – make sure you’re standing out from the pack. In today’s competitive landscape, you must be highly differentiated in order to win. Memorable. Remarkable. Noteworthy. Even if you lose the order, make sure your message can’t be forgotten.
Floyd is making history in real time and so can you. He grew up in a disadvantaged home in Grand Rapids, Michigan but has gone on to become the king of his sport. The distance you’ll travel on your own journey is up to you. Keep throwing power punches, and never stop swinging until the closing bell.
Money” Mayweather will be proud.